CHOOSING A CONTRACTOR
Choosing a contractor can be difficult and there are many options out there which can leave a lot of other people feeling lost. Here we can go through some general steps you should consider when looking and hiring.
Only work with reliable firms. They will give you the best quality, make sure your budget is met, get everything completed by certain due dates, use your materials efficiently and keep you headache free.
Ask for referrals to see how past clients experienced their work. This will inform you on how reliable they are and how they handle other clients. Also this will tell you if past projects were completed as well.
Try not to hire strictly based on pricing because simply choosing the lowest cost will not get you the best quality or greatest results. Most contractors will work with your budget to give you the best quality you can get and you will be grateful for it in the end.
The next step is to request an interview to formally get to know your contractor. Questions you should keep in mind are:
- how long have you been in business?
- Does your company carry workers’ compensation and liability insurance?
- Are you bonded?
- What is your experience in renovation and remodeling?
- Who will I be working with on this project?
- What is your building experience?
- What process will you follow to help me throughout this project?
- Will you be handling the discussions with the governmental agencies?
Lastly, get a detailed and precise evaluation of the costs which will allow for accurate planning and budgeting, saving you from any unknown costs.